Back to Top
Lavender Cupcakes with Wild Orange Cream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups cane sugar
- 1 1/2 vanilla beans, scraped (optional)
- 2 1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons, cake flour, not self-rising
- 2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract (use 3 tablespoons if not using vanilla beans)
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 3 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 4 ounces low-fat Neufchatel cream cheese, softened
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4-6 drops Wild Orange Essential Oil
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- Orange slices, for garnish
- Lavender sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 18 to 25 muffin tins with cupcakes liners.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine sugar and vanilla bean seeds. Blend using the back of a tablespoon to loosen any clumps of seeds, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add olive oil, eggs, yogurt, vanilla, milk, and Lavender Essential Oil. Mix for 1 minute. Add vanilla bean and sugar mixture and blend until completely combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full, and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and Wild Orange Essential Oil together in a large mixing bowl until smooth and creamy. Add sugar 1 cup at a time on low speed until completely combined.
- Increase the speed to high and mix until very fluffy and smooth. Frost cooled cupcakes.